Gaming news/reviews written by a fan, for fans!

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Nintendo At E3: My thoughts

For those of you who didn't know, I was able to attend the Electronics and Entertainment Expo for a second time this year and was able to play some of the up and coming games. I have always been a Nintendo fan and if that wasn't the case, why would I have a Nintendo blog. Anyway, that doesn't mean that Sony and Microsoft didn't leave an impression on me but this one will only be about the games I got to see!

From being at the Nintendo booth I felt that Nintendo did what they needed to do to show the world that they aren't going into the night and giving up on the Wii U. The formula of not starting out strong and then figure it out worked for the 3DS and Nintendo has to hope it will work for the Wii U as well. The games coming to the Wii U will help it as well, similar to what happened to the 3DS.

Splatoon, the capture the flag like game with squid people got a lot of momentum going in the right direction at E3. I honestly didn't think much of the game when I first saw it on the Nintendo Digital Event before E3 started. I was able to play it and I was pleasantly surprised.Strategy is key in this game like knowing when to throw an ink grenade or when to swim in your ink. The gyro controls of the Game Pad take a little getting used to but once you do, you'll be shooting ink in all directions.

Now I know the likes of Super Smash Brothers will be talked about a lot but there were some other great looking games at the show as well. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker could be a great puzzle game that has some other genre elements in it as well, like first person vegetable throwing. That might be an exaggeration but I'm sticking with it. Yoshi's Woolly World brings every one's favorite Dino into yarn and has co-op play. I found two player to be a little annoying at times when I wanted to go one direction or when I kept eating my fellow Yoshi. I can't mention Nintendo without mentioning Hyrule Warriors, the Legend of Zelda/Dynasty Warrior grouping. The game is gaining even more positive press online since it has multiple female playable characters, something that seems tough for the other developers/companies to grasp. Project Guard, one of Shigeru Miyamoto, has you protecting a space station from a robot invasion. All you have is 12 cameras on the Game Pad that you can switch between by touching them on said Game Pad. The action comes fast and furious especially when then the robots enter the base and cameras start going out.

Now, one more game I would like to mention that will be on a Nintendo console but developed by Little Orbit. That game is Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom. Join the likes of Jake the Dog and Finn the Human in their latest adventure for the 3DS. Finn is tasked with establishing the newest kingdom but doesn't listen to Princess Bubblegum in how to do that. Jake can't help because his wife, Lady Rainicorn, grounded him so no adventures. The game is basically The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with Adventure Time put in. From stunning enemies with the banana-rang to graphics, this has LOZ written all over it. It has the best of A Link to the Past and the best of Adventure Time. It has a different feel compared to the previous Adventure Time games and I'm putting this in my "Serious Consideration" pile!









No comments:

Post a Comment